Nuheat is committed to developing product and manufacturing processes that lessen its environmental footprint. We aim to measure our corporate commitment to sustainability in actions and numbers. In 2007, Nuheat diverted 94 cubic yards of recyclable materials from landfills sequestering approximately 15 tons of carbon emissions.
Nuheat’s manufacturing recycling program:
- Wire – all scrap wire is recycled and is part of a local metal recovery program
- Wire spools – spools are returned to the vendor for re-use; average spool can be reused up to six times
- Cardboard/paper – all paper and cardboard is recycled (see certificate)
- Batteries – only rechargeable batteries are used for items such as wireless keyboards and mice. All non-rechargeable batteries (and the harmful chemicals within them) are diverted away from landfills and delivered to local battery recycling depots.
- Pallet wrap – all pallet cling wrap is recycled
- Pallets – all Nuheat pallets are preprinted for reuse; pallets have been in use for over one year
Along with a recycling program, Nuheat prints its brochures and manuals using only FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certified paper and conducts eco audits on all print orders, (see example).
What is FSC?
Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), Strives to promote environmentally responsible, socially beneficial and economically viable management of the world’s forests. As an international body FSC has established a world wide standard that is recognized and respected for their principles of promoting responsible management of the world’s forests.
Since inception FSC has certified over 90 million hectares in more then 70 countries including tropical, temperate and boreal forests, and are the single global forest management program that:
- Prohibits the conversion of forests and other natural habitat
- Respects the rights of workers and indigenous peoples
- Prohibits the use of highly hazardous pesticides
- Prohibits the cultivation of genetically modified trees (GMO’s)
- Maintains a unified certification program that steadily controls it’s certification bodies
- Requires regular yearly controls of each forest management operation certified to its standards
- Works effectively around the world — including the tropics
- Offers assurance that area’s of natural wealth and endangered wildlife habitat are not suffering from negative impact
- Prohibits illegally harvested wood
- Respects and values future generations enjoy the benefits of the forest
What is an Eco Audit?
Eco Audits are the environmental impact estimates made using the Environmental Defense Paper Calculator. An example of such an audit can be seen below:
For more information visit www.papercalculator.org
In 2006, Nuheat introduced the Lean Production Principles throughout all aspects of its operations. The Leanprinciples – aimed at identifying and eliminating waste and inefficiencies – were quickly embraced by not only Nuheat’s production team, but also the Customer Care Team.
Through an honest assessment of its practices, the Customer Care Team quickly identified its printing procedures as one which could be improved. The team implemented an electronic fax system which funnels all incoming faxes to a central email inbox, eliminating the need for these faxes to be printed and stored in filing cabinets.
This simple change, coupled with an aggressive recycling initiative has saved 7,500 pieces of paper per month amounting to 100,000 pieces annually, not to mention roughly 60 cubic feet of filling cabinets.
And Nuheat continues its efforts towards efficiency and a reduced ecological footprint with the continued introduction of paperless systems throughout other branches of the company. The shipping department has recently initiating paperless procedures, the Outside Sales Team has embraced Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software eliminating the need for faxed quotes and the Technical Service Team’s repair process is now entirely paperless.
Check back often to read about Nuheat’s continuing strides towards efficiency and ecological responsibility.